Hello and welcome! I’m Dawn, reading enthusiast and book reviewer. I have been reading books for many years and come by my love for it naturally. My dad started his career as a school librarian. He taught me how to use the library, looking up books in the card catalog and learning the Dewey Decimal System. My mom began her career as a primary school reading teacher working with disadvantaged children. I had an amazing primary school librarian who turned me on to great children’s book authors such as Judy Blume, Beverly Cleary and Madeleine L’Engle. I credit my mom for my love of suspense novels. She gave me my first Nancy Drew books and later Mary Higgins Clark.
I started The Reading Column blog in 2017 to share my book reviews from my favourite fiction sub-genres: literary, women’s fiction, young adult, suspense / thriller (crime, forensic, legal, medical, police procedural, psychological), romance (chick-lit, contemporary) and science fiction (soft only).
Who Am I?
- I live in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- I hold dual citizenship in Canada and the United States.
- My husband and I have three daughters; a singleton plus twins.
- I am a Virgo through and through. I am loyal, hard working, analytical, orderly, etc.
- I have a bachelors degree in psychology and a masters degree in accounting.
- I enjoy volunteer work and donate my time to the CRA (IRS equivalent in the U.S.) as an income tax preparer for low income individuals, and also at my daughter’s school in various capacities – treasurer, literacy committee coordinator, etc.
- My favourite food is Mexican / New Mexican, which is tough to come by in Vancouver, but I get my fix when I head south.
- I love raiding Trader Joe’s for my favourites when I cross the border.
- One of the best and pretty exhausting things I’ve done is run the Hood to Coast relay. Never heard of it? Ask me about it!