Hello and welcome! I’m Dawn, reading enthusiast and book reviewer. I have been reading books for many years and come by my love for it naturally. My dad started his career as a school librarian. He taught me how to use the library, looking up books in the card catalog and learning the Dewey Decimal System. My mom began her career as a primary school reading teacher working with disadvantaged children. I had an amazing primary school librarian who turned me on to great children’s book authors such as Judy Blume, Beverly Cleary and Madeleine L’Engle. I credit my mom for my love of suspense novels. She gave me my first Nancy Drew books and later Mary Higgins Clark.
I started The Reading Column blog in 2017 to share my book reviews from my favourite fiction sub-genres: literary, women’s fiction, young adult, suspense / thriller (crime, forensic, legal, medical, police procedural, psychological), romance (chick-lit, contemporary) and science fiction (soft only).
Who Am I?
- I live in Vancouver, British Columbia
- I hold dual citizenship in Canada and the United States
- My husband and I have three daughters; a singleton plus twins
- I am a Virgo through and through. I delight in perfectionism, cleanliness and order. I cringe over disorder and laziness.
- I have a bachelors degree in psychology and a masters degree in accounting
- I volunteer with the CRA (IRS equivalent in the U.S.) as an income tax preparer for low income individuals
- I prefer volunteer work over paid work – people are much more appreciative of your time and knowledge
- My favourite food is Mexican / New Mexican, which is tough to come by in Vancouver, but I get my fix when I head south
- I love raiding Trader Joe’s for pub cheese, dark chocolate and cheap alcohol (if you live in Canada you understand)
- One of the best and tiring things I’ve done is run the Hood to Coast relay. Never heard of it? Ask me about it!